Monday, December 8, 2008

Training during the holidays

We all know the story; one to many cocktail parties; a cookie here; eggnog there; just one more piece of gingerbread. It adds up; personally I stick to to oranges and spiced apple cider.

Here's what I've been doing for the past few years during the holiday's to motivate me during a ride; and get a little more in during the off season to push myself. Using landmarks such as the lighted house or the Santa Claus at the end of the block; I will sprint in the big chain ring between selected points.

With hills; I will start to look ahead for that house or tree lit up; and will do a hill climb alternating between sprints and recovery between these points.

In group rides; call out the landmarks; creating a little competition of sorts between them.

You can also use this as part of your interval training; it may be a bit shorter in duration; but you should be aiming for high cadence of 2 to 5 minutes with a recovery period of 30 seconds.

No comments: